Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: In An Instant

I finished reading "In An Instant" by Lee & Bob Woodruff last week. My sister in law gave me the book for my birthday in 2007 when the book was first published. I was really excited about reading the book when I first received it but it got put on the bookshelf and forgotten about. Every once in a while I would go to the bookcase when I was ready to start a new book and I would see "In An Instant" sitting there. I would usually tell myself I was not in the mood to read this story thinking that it would be kind of a "downer".  Finally, I pulled it off the shelf the week before Christmas and started reading.

For those of you unfamiliar with the book, "In An Instant" is the story of Bob Woodruff's near-death experience in Iraq while he was embedded with the military. Bob fell victim to an IED and suffered a severe brain injury. The book's narration alternates between Bob and his wife, Lee. The book is as much about Lee and how she coped with this terrible situation as it is about Bob's recovery. There is also a great deal in the book about the Woodruff's marriage and their careers. I found the way they have supported each other and made sacrifices for each other over the course of their marriage to be admirable.

This is a great story that was not at all depressing to me. Instead, I found it inspirational. It gave me a desire to strive to be a better partner in my relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment